Sunday, August 09, 2009

Last night, I ran 12 miles.  It wasn't easy.  I had also started my period yesterday, and yes, I just said that (hopefully we're comfortable with one another at this point; after all, it has been four years since we first met).  I was too afraid that if I took Aleve before I ran that my kidneys might not appreciate the duel workout of processing medicine and managing water shortage.  So I thought the physical exercise would knockout the cramps; didn't my mom used to tell me if I got out of the fetal position and moved around my cramps would go away?  Yes; I think so.  Anyway, quite the opposite happened.  At the end of the 12 miles I could hardly walk and the pain in my lower abdomen was so intense I thought I might not live to tell the story.  I came inside after the run, doubled over and cried.  It was all I could do.  Tears worked - legs, not so much.  It was an excruciating evening and if I didn't have Steve to fall apart on, I don't know what I'd do.  He drew me a bath, fixed me dinner and practically bottle-fed me Gatorade.  I woke up far earlier than him this morning and in his sleep, he put his hands on my knees and said, "How do you feel?"  I think I said something like much better, and that was that.  I know he was sleeping, or one-quarter awake if that, but I know he won't remember.  I won't forget!  What the heck kind of lucky girl am I?  A lucky girl with sore-ass legs and some water blisters in odd shapes and sizes.

Next Saturday I'm running 13 miles. 

3 comments:

The Q said...

At least I know now that the whole exercise/craps thing is a myth. I normally stick to the fetal position, too.
And yes, you are lucky!

kimberlina said...

lies! all they tell us are lies!!

btw, we must be on very similar cycles, mine started saturday as well. i'm all for curling up on the couch and being waited on. i am, however, insanely impressed by your 12 miles! please tell me you walk some of that time, right?

Matty said...

Nothing like being out in the open about things. But then again, we are old friends.

I admire your tenacity. Keep on running!