Friday, August 07, 2009

miniature

Remember when I got an iPhone? I don't have it anymore for many reasons (though that call I mysteriously placed to Steve one morning for 4 minutes without realizing it? That was the kiss of death). I decided to resort back to my old cell phone (that was really very new: I had just upgraded my phone the month before I inherited the first-gen iPhone from Steve's dad), but was missing the ability to surf the webs anywhere. So I bought something a little more finger-friendly and exceptionally awesome: the HP Mini (see product here).

I don't get that excited about little gadgets too often -- but this thing? OMG.

First, I travel LIGHT. I only check luggage if I'm headed somewhere in the winter and I need snow boots, a heavy jacket, and bulky clothes. Otherwise, everything must fit into my backpack and personal item or it doesn't make the cut. The idea of traveling with a laptop usually turned me off; in fact, I never did bring my laptop anywhere, even when I was in grad school and needed to get some work done! It was just too heavy and took up too much precious space. But being without Internet is really tough these days, and I knew I needed to find an alternative to itsy-bitsy iPhone and 20lb laptop. Something to fit in my "personal item" without being my "personal item." Something light.

Two-ish pounds fits the bill. I'm not kidding you, this is the perfect travel companion; it fits in my handbag. When I was doubled over with food poisoning and had a lot of travel rearrangements to mak
e in Palm Springs, I had my Mini in bed with me...it saved my life. Especially when I realized I probably didn't have the Swine Flu (via Google, via CDC). I was going to live, damnit! I wasn't going to die in the desert!

Other gems: Steve and I always have a late afternoon coffee or ice tea or seltzer or something on our front porch when we get home from work. If we need to reference something online, Mini -- light as a feather -- comes out there with us. I've blogged from the front porch, too. Which, big deal; anything with wireless capabilities will get the job done. But this thing? It's the ticket.

The price of these Minis is super friendly considering the specs, and roughly equals what 3 months of two iPhone service bills would have cost. Not that I came up with that myself -- that is Steve talking.

A complete sidebar of sidebars: your daily dose of art should involve browsing this book:


1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi there...home with a cold today and reading back through your blogs! Came upon this post where you bought an HP Mini! I bought one too, specifically for travel. Love how it fits in my purse! You can see the cute soft pouch I bought for it HERE!
I also bought a cigarette lighter charger, which is wonderful when hubby drives...