Sunday, February 10, 2008

ain't skeered

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and haven't been back to sleep since. My usual alarm goes off in thirty minutes anyway. I'm home alone this weekend. There's a supposed serial killer in Boca. I couldn't sleep. I made some tea, took out the dogs, and then tended to Jane "Feed Me NOW" Kitty in the garage. Last night, in my rage to keep the serial killer from slipping through the 1/4" crack under the garage door, I locked the door between garage and kitchen. Which we never do. Because if the door is locked and you shut it behind you, you are locked in the garage.

A great lesson to learn at 5:00 a.m. on two-ish hours of sleep.

The irony is, I was in a room full of tools. However, MacGuyver-locksmithing, in addition to breaking and entering, in addition to screwdrivers, hammers, and wrenches and sockets means NOTHING to me. I was freaked out of my ever-loving-mind. What if the serial killer is in the garage with me (or in Steve's darkroom, which is also in the garage)? Am I suddenly in that movie, er, Saw? I was fine up until that point. Then I began to cry like a baby. Hold me, Jane. Take me back into the house with you via cat door. Obviously, I got back inside but not that way.

This is a message to Steve. I tore down screens. I probably stripped things bare (various screws I couldn't even begin to, uh, unscrew). I tried picking the lock with a corkscrew that I found on the work bench. I shoved zip ties in places they weren't meant to go. All in all, I think you'd be proud of me. I dropped the window down without breaking a pane of glass and then unlocked the door that way (he knows what I mean).

This is still a message to Steve. YOU CAN NEVER GO OUT OF TOWN AGAIN.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

My mom has a brilliant idea...she keeps a spare key in the garage for such occasions.

duff said...

a spare key? what if the serial killer gets into the garage and finds it?

then again, with any luck, he'd be too distracted by what i can only imagine must be some sort of sculpture made of zip ties.

Kat said...

I'm skeered just reading this!

Lauren said...

She hides the key. It isn't hanging by the door or anything.

Verdant Earl said...

Good thing you have the dogs and cats to protect you.

Kat said...

Happy Valentine's Madge :o) Hope Steve is home now.

kimberlina said...

madge!! i am glad you were safe AND super smart. jane's claws would have come out and saved you, i just know it.