Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the soda road

I proclaimed two nights ago that I would never drink another Diet Coke.

Day 2 (and counting): the headache of agony is just about enough to kill me. I soldier on...

Here is my history with soda pop (I used to just call it pop, but now I call it soda - what a lame duck am I!):

I was born in 1979. For the next 5-7 years post birth, I used to get treated to Pepsi on rare occasions - and it was usually about the amount that could fit into a Dixie cup.

After that, soda was still saved for special occasions in my household. But maybe I was able to have an entire can of Pepsi on my tenth birthday or something.

Flash forward to high school and the first time I am exposed to soda on a daily basis - we had Pepsi vending machines. On the particularly hard days of my vanilla adolescence, I would gather sixty cents and buy a soda - Pepsi mostly, but Squirt during the spring. It was this weird thing I had. But I would cherish the soda because it was tasty and refreshing - and oh - I always bought it for my last class of the day. I was very methodical with my Pepsi, thank you.

The summer after high school, I worked in a mall that sold 64 ounces of soda for .99. I bought one of those things during every shift. A friend of mine from high school visited me one day during a lunch break and observed that I was putting on the pounds. Don't be ridiculous!, I told her. It's the overalls I'm wearing that are giving you that impression.

Really, though, it was the Pepsi.

A charming young fellow that I was dating at the time invited me to ski with him in Vail that October. He said something like, "Don't drink soda before our trip; the elevation will be extra hard on you and you're going to fart a lot." So I didn't drink any soda the week before the trip because the fart word made me embarrassed for things I hadn't even done yet. And since I was on such a good streak, I came home from Vail and remained soda free for the next SIX YEARS. Almost immediately, I lost those extra pounds I had gained and my skin cleared up, too. In this period of six years, I became a seltzer fanatic. I love sparkling waters and seltzers. I think what I really love about soda is the soda water - the bubbles. How they kind of rip down your throat? I love it.

In 2004, I had somewhat of a lapse. But first, I switched teams. No longer a Pepsi person, I became a Diet Coke fiend. A fiend! I was drinking an entire 2 liter in one day! Ewww. Something had to be done about this so I quit again. And then I started working in a library where everybody wouldn't take "I don't drink soda" for an answer and force fed me real Coke on lunch breaks - I ended up convincing myself real Coke was better for me than Diet, anyway. I put on some pounds. So I quit real Coke and went back to Diet.

I don't want to tell you how much Diet Coke I have been drinking. Admitting the total number of ounces per day is more embarrassing than farting in front of someone you are just getting to know.

Anyway, I am quitting for good because Steve and I are make a conscious effort to treat our bodies a little more like temples and a little less like Superfund sites. No more Coke products in the hizzy!

Yesterday I consumed an entire two liter of seltzer. Raspberry flavored. Mmmmm.

5 comments:

LittlePea said...

oooh! The headache must be caffiene withdrawl. I never drank coffee until 2 years ago and now I have a headache if I haven't had any....you'll feel better soon.

Naynayfazz said...

diet soda, although diet, is still so bad for you. Glad you stopped. I love seltzer! Good choice. Good luck! :)

Verdant Earl said...

It's funny...I really don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I've always preferred seltzer to soda.

But recently, my girlfriend's soda-drinking habits have started to rub off on me.

I now always seem to have a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper in my fridge. I say that I buy it for her, but I seem to be drinking it an awful lot as well.

Awful lot = a can or so every couple of days. That's alot for me.

Kat said...

I quit pop when I was a teenager. Had gut rot and migraines for about a week. I felt so sick I've never gone back.

Anonymous said...

You know a healthy way to kick that headache? A little bit of tea. All the caffine none of the bad stuff!

Aspartame is so, so, so bad for you. Your body can't process the sugar, that's why you don't gain weight. You never get rid of it either. Regualr coke is the way to go. At least your body can tell you when enough is enough.

I always think I drink way to much soda, but I never have it at my house.