Monday, March 19, 2007

the highs and lows of doing laundry

The one downfall of ever having been exposed to coin-op laundries is that I still actually follow the coin-op laundry rule of thumb:

Wait until the last possible to moment to do your laundry.
Do it in loads.
Loads of loads.
Seven loads.
Eight loads.
Preferably once a month.

I can't stand that I still follow this rule - no matter what I try to do not to fall into this trap, it just happens. Suddenly I am looking at a Mount Everest of clothes, towels, sheets. And then I get a sinking feeling. I will have to spend about two days doing laundry. It is completely unavoidable. I divide my loads according to color and then I set about to conquer. It sucks.

However, I just figured out why I still do this. Because when I'm on day two and the last load of laundry has come off the clothesline and it is folded and put away, I feel SO INCREDIBLY GOOD. Euphoric. Like I have just snorted cocaine chemically composed by the gods of home economics.

5 comments:

LittlePea said...

:o) The gods of Home Ec must be so proud of you...

I feel that way when I make a cake. Even if it's from a box--I feel so 1950s wifey. Oh or when I've ironed everything in the house...yeah.

Junniper, MPA said...

I'm kind of a freak--I actually like to do laundry! I love putting away the fabulously clean-smelling goods. I don't know if it's akin to snorting cocaine, but perhaps a good cocktail.

kimberlina said...

so, if you're ever on this awesome cocaine-laundry high.... or if you need it and there isn't any laundry around... please feel free to use me as your dealer!

Naynayfazz said...

You know why I like you madge? 'Cause you can write a blog about laundry and make it interesting. By the way, I hate doing laundry.

Spinning Girl said...

I love having laundry facilities in my house, finally, so I just do laundry all the time. As soon as I have enough for a full load. This makes me feel happy inside.